Exams & Study Tips
Exams take place each year in January (1st Semester) and May (2nd Semester). Repeat exams are held in August.
Exam time of year can be a stressful time for everyone! To reduce exam stress, ensure that you study throughout the year, find out what learning method is best for you and ensure to take much needed study breaks.
During exam times, the Education/Communications Officer will be available in the Student Union Office and on their mobile. If you are experiencing any problems, don’t be afraid to call.
Here are a few tips that can help you with your study:
- Design a timetable, well in advance, that outlines tasks you need to complete in order to prepare yourself for each exam. Structure your study so that you spend equal time on each subject – do not focus on one subject and neglect the other!
- Speak to your classmates and form study groups – a problem shared is a problem halved.
- At home, try preparing a study space that is free from noise and distractions. Turn your mobile phone on silent for a few hours while studying.
- Take a break! If you study for a long period of time, you will get tired easily. Take short breaks and get some fresh air or grab a healthy snack such as fruit and water.
- It is very important to keep hydrated, drink plenty of water to ensure your body is fully functional.
- Seek help if you need it. Talk to your lecturers coming up to exams. They may not give you direct hints, but they can certainly help solve problems and possibly show you the best way of studying your subject.
- Don’t go overboard with the study. Staying up all night before exams will damage you more than help you.
- Take care of yourself before and during the exams. Get a good night sleep every night, eat appropriately and drink plenty of water. Avoid caffeine or stimulant drinks.
- Don’t leave studying until the last minute!
- Make sure you have the relevant stationery that you will require for all exams.
- Don’t panic! If you have put in the work – you’ll be fine. It will be hard not to get the result you want in an exam if you have done the work for it. Try to relax and your exam will run smoothly.
- When you finish your exam, leave it behind you – there is no need to analyse it! Focus on your next exam or if you have completed them all, enjoy your time with friends and family and relax.
Websites for Study Tips
The websites below also offer great study and exam support and tips to students. Good advice on how to develop your own study techniques is also provided: